Skip to main content

Christmas Spirit --- The Spirit in Christ's Manger




Today is the day when God became physically visible to mankind, became the Son of Man named Jesus.  And we call this day Christmas Day.

Last night, at the Holy Mass of Christmas Eve, our parish priest shared his experience of seeing the actual manger in Israel where Jesus was born.  His sharing was so sincere that when he said that it made him cry seeing that manger, it almost made me cry too.  Can you imagine having your child born in a stinking place where horses rest and eat?  How would you feel having your most loved person give birth there, if you are a husband?  How should one feel having a God who is the creator of all the entire universe and yet chose to become human and be born in a manger? Makes you think, right?

A stone manger in Israel.  This was used to put animal feed for the farm animals.  This may have been the kind of manger that Jesus was put in as an infant.  Scripture: Luke 2:7-16.
 
Made me think.  I've always known the manger to be that humble.  But to be stinky?  I think I missed that one.

Suddently, a thought came over me.  I always pass by  this beggar-looking man near our church each time I hear a Holy Mass.  He doesn't beg, he just looks that way: dirty.  A squatter.  Made me wonder, could he be that stinky as a manger?  Maybe smelling him could be the closest I could get to smelling the manger of my Lord Jesus.

Not a bad thought.  Now, I can make Christmas Day an alibi to befriend him.  I've always wondered what's on his mind, what could matter to him at this point in his life, stuff like that.  Now, I still can't do that but at least, I can have a starting point.

So, excitedly, I packed 2 dishes and made sure the substandard one is redone to make it special.  I  shared the thought to my 9-year old niece and she welcomed the idea cheerfully.  She even volunteered to buy him a bottled juice from her own pocket.  (I thought  that  kids should see their family do concrete acts of love to strangers so it would not be that strange for them to do the same when they grow up.) So we waited for the twilight---just so we don't get intimidated by by-standers when talking to him.

His name is Felix.  Today, we saw him sitting on the same stone along the street, but now with the blue bag my 8-year old nephew handed him yesterday---packed with "body care kit".  (We wanted to make sure then that he could change and maybe find a public bathing place so he could have a tidy appearance on Christmas, at least.)

So, we immediately said hi to him and called him by "Kuya (Big brother) Felix" . HE SMILED immediately.  Somehow, that smile did not leave my memory even as I write this.  He made it so easy for me and my niece to "feel at ease" with him immediately.  And so I started a conversation without hesitation.  He was so normal that right then and there, I see us building friendship in the future.  I asked where he stays and he immediately pointed to just right across the street:  a warehouse of sacks of something.  I invited him to eat his food there instead and he immediately stood up and  walked us there.   Its an open gate with a chair next to it.  We had a nice casual conversation.  We made sure he was eating it before we left. 

Right after we left, I was observing myself for a couple of minutes.  Some people say they feel a  certain "rush" when they do acts of charity.  What a sigh of relief that I didn't feel it at all.   Am afraid that if I do feel the rush, then that means that the act of kindness to a stranger is not yet incorporated in my very system like a foreign matter lurking in my blood and that would be a very very sad situation.

Did I achieve my first objective?  Did I get close to smelling the manger of my Lord? NO. He had no smell at all!  Whew! He must have already taken a bath using the body care kit my niece gave him! Hmmm.  Wrong planning for us, I guess. Hahaha

I was a bit bummed not being able to smell something close to a manger's smell.  But hey.  Kuya Felix showed me where he's squatting--- which is like his own manger:  an open storage of hundreds of sacks of I don't know what owned by I don't know who.  

I take Kuya Felix' place as the modern-day manger in our own small town.

Its Christmas day.  I pray that other people will create an opportunity to realize Christ's manger in others' lives.

In Christ's manger, there is the Spirit of Absolute Love for the Poor.  The Spirit of Absolute Humility. The Spirit of Absolute Self-giving.

Today, I am privileged to feel that Spirit.  Happy Birthday, my Lord and my God.

Our Parish's Nativity







Popular posts from this blog

Take Away My Freedom

Remedy for Occasional Spiritual Amnesia

19 7 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which will be given for you; DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME"  (Luke 22:19) God knew that without Jesus, we cannot live up to our commitment to God. He knew we will have amnesia at some point. Or worse, not just 'at some point'.  We do have amnesia every now and then! One day, we are so spiritually high. Next day, we are floating in a sea of desperation. One day, we kneel down promising to be a good Christian, Next day, we are spewing fire over anything we can imagine. We forget. No matter how often we profess our commitment to God. We do forget. We do forget. WE DO. WE DO. WE REALLY REALLY DO! AND THAT IS WHY JESUS SAID " Do this in remembrance of me."   The Holy Communion . First celebrated in the Last Supper. Continuously being done in every single Holy Catholic Mass!   So we don't forget Him. So, if someone asks you why ta

Christians and Muslims United At Last!

The Unity of Two Worlds This  is the proof that with God, even the most damaged relationship can be healed.   For all of us who have been brain-washed by media for hundreds of years, making us think that Muslims are bad people, let the Christians who have lived and co-existed with them be heard:  the Muslims who are true to their religion are very loving people.  In the same way that the Christians who are true to their religions live the teachings of Jesus by heart and are loving people too. The Christians in UAE thank  His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, for such a loving heart, allowing our highest religious leader to set his feet in UAE.  We thank also our Pope Francis for being true to his mission, reaching out and becoming the channel of peace.  If one of this two heads refused the prodding of the Holy Spirit, this crucial, memorable historical event would not have taken place.  They are like Jesus and Mary saying