Skip to main content

The Handover Hiccup: When Your Work Becomes a Shortcut (and You Almost Sabotage It)

Ah, the joys of a new job! Five years ago, I walked into this clinic with a backpack full of experience from companies that thrived on digital workflows. Imagine my surprise when my new employer's idea of "appointment scheduling" involved a color-coded system of sticky notes and a well-worn appointment book. Patient records? Buried in folders that resembled archaeological digs. Appointments were lost in the Bermuda Triangle of Outlook calendars, patient history resided in folders that resembled ancient scrolls, and the search function was a rumor whispered by stressed receptionists. But fear not, for I, the keyboard crusader, have arrived! Three years later, the clinic is a digital haven. This is the legacy I leave behind, a streamlined system that will become the stepping stone for new hires. But is that a bad thing? My sweat and blood is just a short-cut key of a new joiner? 

Let's be honest, folks. We've all been there. You put in the blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears, building a system from scratch. You've become a master of Excel kung-fu, a scheduling sensei, a filing cabinet whisperer (okay, maybe not that last one). Then, bam, a new face walks in, ready to inherit your meticulously crafted kingdom. And let's just say, the urge to make things a little... challenging can be strong.


Confession time: Yeah, for a hot second there, I totally considered leaving them a trail of cryptic notes and booby-trapped spreadsheets. After all, they should feel the pain of losing a productivity powerhouse like me, right? But I cannot be focused on myself.  

Everything goes back to God.  You see, when your heart is always open to God, the Holy Spirit will find Its way to you and you will hear the calling to do the right thing.  I had to brush off those dark thoughts and remember that my 3 years of journey with that employer was a gift from God. I had my learnings, I had my share of pain. But all those experiences I had to lift up to God because all of those experiences’ glory belongs to Him. The glory is always His, not mine. So who am I to make things difficult to the new comer? For sure, that soul is important to God, too. He has His plans for that person too and I will not be a hindrance to that, whatever it maybe. I have to do what I have to do: make the best hand-over, best documentation I can make. Not for the new comer, but for God. Because up to the last minute I was with the employer, I have to serve God for that employer.

 

Here's the thing: holding onto negativity never helps anyone. Not even yours truly. Those three years were a journey, a rollercoaster of learning and yes, a few moments of frustration. But ultimately, it was a gift from God. And guess what? Gifts are meant to be shared.

 

So, instead of channeling my inner office gremlin, I decided to channel my inner… documentation diva.

 

The result? The most epic handover manual this clinic has ever seen. Think crystal clear instructions, color-coded charts, and maybe a sprinkle of emoji magic for good measure. Because hey, even serving your notice can be an act of service, especially when you're serving a higher power (and maybe showing your ex-employer what they're missing).

 

So, to the new person: Welcome aboard! May your days be filled with efficient workflows and the satisfaction of a job well done. And to everyone else: remember, the best revenge is living well (and making the handoff process a breeze).

 



Popular posts from this blog

Take Away My Freedom

TAKE AWAY MY FREEDOM (by Lea Maria) Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to turn my back on You. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to hurt You. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to hurt and be indifferent. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom not to love as You have loved me. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to live just for myself. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to be deaf and blind to the needy. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to waste the time that is meant for You. Take away my freedom, O Lord, the freedom to ignore You when I know I heard Your call. I don't need these freedom, I don't want these freedom. Take away instead my life if my existence will be filled by these. For I only want to serve You and love You and glorify You. All the days of my life, O Lord, I belong to You.

Remedy for Occasional Spiritual Amnesia

19 7 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which will be given for you; DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME"  (Luke 22:19) God knew that without Jesus, we cannot live up to our commitment to God. He knew we will have amnesia at some point. Or worse, not just 'at some point'.  We do have amnesia every now and then! One day, we are so spiritually high. Next day, we are floating in a sea of desperation. One day, we kneel down promising to be a good Christian, Next day, we are spewing fire over anything we can imagine. We forget. No matter how often we profess our commitment to God. We do forget. We do forget. WE DO. WE DO. WE REALLY REALLY DO! AND THAT IS WHY JESUS SAID " Do this in remembrance of me."   The Holy Communion . First celebrated in the Last Supper. Continuously being done in every single Holy Catholic Mass!   So we don't forget Him. So, if someone asks you why ta

I Almost Left the Catholic Church

The Holy Spirit stopped me.  Since last year, time after time, I read news about our highest shepherd doing things that are against my core belief, things that I felt are being twisted, being made sound complicated to understand yet only to lead to wrong things.  Such is blessing relationships in sin...how can a sin be blessed, I asked myself. It is just wrong and I will not accept this. Needless to say, I am scandalized. I had to contemplate. This month, God led me to Armenia.  I saw the Armenians preserved their faith, and Christian practices in the Church. I have witnessed how sacred they still keep the traditions. I wanted to become part of that. I had to contemplate more. I asked the Lord to help me make the right decision that night when I came home from Armenia. In my heart, I will start looking for the church here in my community, the Orthodox Christian church. Sabbath day came. I attended my Sunday Mass. I thanked God for having brought me to Armenia and learned what I needed